Friday, July 10, 2009

David Proctor's Most Important Lesson

"Track is an individual sport, and it requires you to know yourself and your body well. I was anorexic during freshman and sophomore years because I thought I'd put on too much weight to be fast. I remember the day I made the connection in my head that what I was doing was actually hurting me. Restrictive eating caused my underperformance and injuries. I learned the small things that help my body: hydration, nutrition, and psychology" (David Proctor, Bostonia Summer '09).

Sport is supposed to enhance our lives, yet the very pursuit of sport can lead to destructive behavior. David Proctor, Boston University alum sub-4 minute miler, reminds us of the serious issues that come to light when we look at our performances within our particular sport. Through honest reflection on our performances, we can identify destructive behaviors and work toward improving our performances, much like David Proctor did when he completed his senior year running a 3:59.14 mile. One of HPC's goals is to help clients through this complicated and reflective process toward performance enhancement.

No comments:

Post a Comment